Also please read:
Mold Exposure and Death
My 26 year old son worked in a mold infested basement
which he did extensive cleaning by himself for 5 hours,
without the use of mask or protective gears. The house
was unoccupied for at least 2 years. The floor had
about 4 inches of water which he vacuumed and he cut up
carpeting, logged out heavy bags of debris and garbage
and drywall. He scrapped and cleaned mold growth and
mildew of the walls and ceiling. After doing this work
he developed a stuffiness in his nostril and felt
nausea. Two days later he suddenly felt ill and died
suddenly. Could the mold spores which he inhaled
extensively be responsible for his death? The coroner
overlooked checking his lungs for exposure to the
spores. However, they did a micro autopsy with samples
of his lungs and did not find anything. His death
remains undetermined. 8/19/04
First, my condolences to you on the death of your son.
The mold exposure to your son experienced was extremely
dangerous to his health, but usually mold growth inside one's body would
take at least a few weeks prior to becoming lethal, with the exception
of the mold that causes deadly valley fever. There is a possibility that
he was very mold sensitive, and that his respiratory system shut down in
response to his inhalation of huge amounts of airborne mold spores. That
is pure speculation by me, as a non-physician and non-forensic
scientist. One mold detective step you should take to have
the moldy basement mold tested today to determine the
types of mold to which your son was exposed, and the
levels of mold infestation. With mold infestation being
as bad as it was for your son during his work time there
, there are likely to be remaining mold spores which can
be collected and mold lab analyzed. Visit:
Mold Victim Rights Association
Are you a
because you are:
1. Working in a moldy workplace?
2. Renting a moldy rental house, apartment, condo, office, or commercial
3. Sick from staying in a moldy hotel, motel, or resort room?
4. Living in a moldy home purchased from a seller or new home builder
who failed to disclose known mold infestations?
5. Having a water intrusion or mold damage problem caused by an
adjoining condominium, co-op apartment, or your home owners association?
6. Making mortgage payments to a lender for a moldy house, condo, or
7. Being unable to pay for needed mold remediation because your
insurance company has wrongfully denied your water or mold damage
8. Living or working in a moldy house or building that was improperly or
incompletely mold remediated by a mold remediation company?
9. Sick from living or working in a building water and mold damaged by a
negligent building contractor such as a roofing, plumbing, or air
10. Attending school or teaching or working in a school that is
Get mold justice by joining the
Mold Victim Rights Association.
For help, phone executive director Phillip Fry toll-free 1-866-300-1616,
cell phone (480) 310-7970, or email